Recently I've been on a quest to start my own plants either from cuttings or seed mostly because it's cheaper to start my own rather than buy and it's fun! As every gardener knows growing your own plants from babies to adults is a rewarding experience that can't be replaced from buying an already grown plant at the local home store.
So, where do you go to get plant cuttings to start on your own?
1. Join your local Freecycle group - this is an excellent place to ask for plant cuttings in your own city. I just recently received for free Jade tree cuttings (so easy to start) and rose clippings to start my own rose bushes. I've also given away numerous iceplants from my own yard for others to start as well. All you have to do is ask!
2. Post an ad on Craigslist.org in your city. Often you will find others selling plants cheaply or you can ask for clippings in the wanted or farm section.
3. Friends and family are a good source for new plants. Every time I visit my sister I take some cuttings from her succulents and she does the same when she comes to see me!
Here are a few plants I've recently started:
4. Your neighbors are another good source for plant clippings. My next door neighbor has some really unusual plants in her garden, we've traded clippings many times.
5. Take trimmings from your plants and start them in a new pot. I just recently repotted my Philodendron plant and was able to divide the plant into two pots. I've also clipped some longer vines and started them in water. These plants are easy to start and grow fast.
6. There are several places you can swap plants online, www.plantswap.net is one that seems very active. There's also forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/explant but this one seems a little less organized than the first one.
There are lots of ways to get free plants from cuttings. Do you have a source for free plants?
- how can i get plants for free